Diana Carulli

www.dianacarulli.com

I am concerned with creating works in which others will participate. Labyrinths are ideal for my purpose as we have found them fascinating since prehistoric time. When I first learned through a friend that people were moving this way together, I had to learn how to make labyrinth paths. For me, they're like dance floors passersby suddenly happen upon. As I taught myself how to make them, I became convinced we needed to have labyrinths in public spaces in New York where we rush around so furiously. Just at the turn of the millennium, I was permitted by the Parks and Recreation Department to use paint on the asphalt of Union Square Park. Before that, only chalk was allowed, and it took me four years to get that far. Since then my temporary works for the city have numbered 7 and of those, 6 remain. It is great to be working in the rural setting of Saunders' Farm where steer as well as hikers and art enthusiasts can approach this labyrinth, patterned after the ancient Cretan design. My team and I would welcome the opportunity to create more labyrinths for people in rural areas, especially Putnam County. Meanwhile I pursue my dream of designing a world class pavement or botanical labyrinth for the city and, having been promised a site, am fundraising for that purpose.