Robert Brush























photo by Louise Woehrle



The Score (or a reworking of Goya's "The Shootings of May 3rd")

exterior latex paint, plywood, pressure treated wood, vinyl.
104.72"x 135.82".

brush58@optonline.net
22 High Street
Beacon, NY 12508
845-661-9261


ROBERT BRUSH, Producer. Of nothing. Depicting nothing, imbued with expectation. In my background of theater, performance, and set design, I deconstructed known elements of plays and created altered versions of anticipated events. This conceptual approach continues in my current installation work as I focus on the familiar, the repetitive, and question its inherent security and authority. I overlay my work with an inquiry about adolescence, especially as an “American” idiom that extends to the environment. It is informed with the contradictions of limitlessness and restriction, freedom and unease, communality and competition, beauty and impending decay. It references the waiting world - from a playground, to a glacier, from a commercial strip, to a Native American Shell Mound. And teenage perception and experience, ratcheted up by hormones, rebellion, hubris, doubt, parental dictates, and peer group pressure. I rely on the viewer to participate in the creation and development of the work, and grapple with the question: “what is this?”